Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Hiking, day 13: Fort Zachary

Today included a well-worth-it hike to Fort Zachary; a great tour of the fort itself, cute walking trails, and a beautiful beach. Fun fact: at the end is one of the last pictures of the mile marker post. The park rangers told me they were taking it down for safety reasons and putting up a new one over night.









Check out that bird above drying off it's wings after a brief shower!


...and finally, the beach! If you haven't been to the Keys, you may not know that there isn't a lot of beach space, so I was glad to check out the one at the fort! Unfortunately the wind was up so I wasn't able to get any snorkeling in, but the water was warm and I enjoyed a brief swim anyways.


I always like finding things at the beach, but since this was a state park, I wasn't able to bring anything with me.  So here's a shot of some cool things I found that washed up: three bits of metal, an old shard of glass, something that might have been volcanic, and a rock with some fossils in it!







There are chickens everywhere in Key West! The first day I was there I got to see a bunch of chicks that had just hatched, but unfortunately I didn't get a good photo of them.


Sunset from the conference hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment