Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Hiking, day 10: Art Nouveau

Today's main purpose was to check out a lot of the architecture famous in Vienna; mainly the Art Nouveau buildings in the area - one of my favorite artistic styles.

Murals outside a school (I think).


Check out the golden globe on the top of the building.

And the first Art Nouveau building - Hundertwasser!


It was fun walking around the building to take pictures - and there was a touristy area next door where I was able to find a pretty awesome shirt based on one of Gustav Klimt's most recognizable paintings, so it was a good way to remember my outing for the day!

A little ways up the road is my second stop, Kunst Haus Wien.


I started meandering my way back towards the metro stop, so I took the opportunity to take in some other buildings while I was walking.




Beautiful tulips in front of Karlskirche.

Another stop on the Art Nouveau search - the old Karlsplatze train station above the existing stop, now a cafe. Designed by Otto Wagner.

Close-ups above and below of the details at Karlsplatz.


Next, Majolikahaus, also designed by Otto Wagner.


Quick snap on the way to dinner.

And the brewery for dinner - Salm Braeu. Parts of the location were built in 1717!


I pretty much ate goulash as often as I could here - it was soooo good!

Decided to try their seasonal - a chili beer.

We were seated in the vaults - a really cool area under the main restaurant.


The brewing equipment.



Another interesting and very old building on the walk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment