Thursday, January 11, 2018

Hiking, day 8: Captain Cook Monument

This was the most epic (visually) and challenging (physically) hike I've done yet.  The round trip, out and back, is just under 4 miles, yet the elevation gain is right at 2200 feet. The best snorkeling spot I found is what awaits at the monument.  The terrain and ecosystem changes quite a bit as you work your way down.




After getting through the fields and trees above, I eventually made it to the lava fields overlooking the ocean.  I stopped to take photos of this plant when I hear a noise nearby...

Goats!


I think this panorama comes close to capturing the view from the top of the lava flow looking down towards the water.

More goats!


After going over the lava flows and down the rest of the cliff side, I entered another forested area with different trees and flowers.


Made it to the cove! Lots of boats come here to drop off snorkelers, but I'm glad I did the hike instead.

The monument marks that this was the cove where Captain Cook landed. Below are a few of the medallions lodged in the old pier.




My first attempt at a photosphere with my phone to try to get the feel of the water and the cliffs.

Unfortunately none of my underwater camera's photos really did this place justice, but the reef itself and the fish were absolutely beautiful, with clear, calm water.




I wish I had better shots like this, showing just how blue the water is here!


Another eel going into the coral!







After lunch and a break, I took my husband over to Queens Bath so he could see the waves and do some snorkeling as well.  It was a bit more crowded during the day, but we still saw some great sights.





...and we finally saw our first sea turtle! This guy was just munching away, but we tried not to get too close while he was in the tidal pool.






I missed these before, but there are some carvings in the lava flows.


I normally do a lot of the tourist type things when I travel, but I never managed to actually make it to some of the historical site tours near our hotel.  Here's a quick shot of the older part of downtown Kona.

...and a quick night shot of Hulihe's Mansion, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment